20 Mar Namibia residency by investment [2023 Guide]
Namibia is one of Africa’s prime tourist destinations and is becoming an increasingly popular choice for investors. It is also one of the safest nations in Africa, offering an excellent quality of life.
Still in development, the Namibia residence by investment program will provide real estate investors with a five-year renewable residency and work permit. In this article, we’ll look at the current investment options and the process involved, covering these topics:
- Namibia residency by investment – What is it?
- Benefits of becoming a resident in Namibia
- Namibia residency by investment options
- Namibia residency by investment eligibility requirements
- How to apply for Namibia residency – Step-by-step
- Documents required to become a resident of Namibia
- What is the minimum investment required for Namibia citizenship?
- Can you get Namibian citizenship by buying property?
- Is Namibia safe for expats?
Namibia residency by investment – What is it?
Namibian residency will be available to foreign nationals who make a real estate investment (via their own private company) in the luxury eco-friendly President’s Links Estate, featuring a fantastic golf course. The minimum investment is USD 316,000.
The President’s Links Estate project is still in development, so would-be investors are recommended to declare their interest as soon as possible. The processing time for an investors’ visa is usually no more than three months.
As Namibia’s appeal as a destination for tourists and investors increases, its economy benefits. The government actively encourages foreign investment (and golfers!), and its programme of economic diversification is bearing fruit. The President’s Links Estate is the most recent private development project in the country, and the latest residency by investment scheme in the world.
Benefits of becoming a resident in Namibia
Namibia, in the southwest of Africa, has the kind of stable political and economic environment that investors look for. The benefits of the residency by investment scheme are considerable – here are some of the immediate advantages:
- Tax incentives – only local income is taxed, and there are no capital gains, estate duty or inheritance taxes.
- A safe, secure environment.
- High standard of services and infrastructure, with a road network ranked first in Africa for five consecutive years.
- Good air links, with regular flights between Hosea Kutako International Airport in Windhoek and Frankfurt, and direct flights to Cape Town and Johannesburg and many more.
- 4G available across 85% of the country (Namibia was one of the first countries in sub-Saharan Africa to achieve full internet connectivity).
- A signature golf course created in the Namibian sand dunes by renowned golf course designer Peter Matkovich.
- A politically and economically stable nation – one of the most reliable in Africa. Namibia is a member of the United Nations, the Commonwealth of Nations, the Southern African Development Community, the Southern African Customs Union and the African Union.
- Fabulous scenery and natural wonders, including iconic African wildlife, nature reserves, spectacular coastlines and some of the highest dunes in the world.
- Walvis Bay, the location of the residency programme’s real estate opportunities, is a pristine marine coastal ecosystem area
- In addition to the golf course, the President’s Links Estate will include large, pet-friendly recreational parks and activities, along with hotels, dining, retail, sports facilities (including a gym and swimming pool) and a healthcare centre.
- The estate will incorporate state-of-the-art camera surveillance, a 24-hour private patrolling service, electric fencing and high boundary walls constructed of grass-covered mounds of sandbags (none of which will be visible from the properties on the estate). Access to the residential area is intended to be for residents and their guests only.
Namibia residency by investment options
Namibian residence is expected to be available to investors who register a business in Namibia and use that business to purchase real estate at the President’s Links Estate with a minimum value of USD 316,000. This scheme is currently the only residency by investment route open to foreign nationals; but it should be noted that details of the requirements are still to be finalised.
The President’s Links Estate will be a modern, eco-friendly residential and golf estate at the edge of Namibia’s Dorob National Park in Walvis Bay. The offered properties include a range of luxury houses and villas. There will be over 745 residential homes on the Estate, all served by top-class infrastructure and amenities.
Namibia residency by investment eligibility requirements
The details of the investment opportunity are still being finalised. However, it is likely that investors will only be able to work for their own companies and cannot be employed in any other jobs in Namibia.
How to apply for Namibia residency – Step-by-step
Namibian investment permit applications are expected to be made through an online portal. When applying, you will need a completed digital application form, supporting documents, and the appropriate fees.
The Presidents Links Estate will apply for the five-year renewable permit on your behalf to the Immigration Selection Board (ISB) and the Ministry of Home Affairs, Immigration, Safety, and Security.
If your application is successful, The President’s Links Estate will send your five-year, renewable work permit within three months, this permit will be issued in your investment company’s name, at which point you will be able to live and do business in the country via your company.
If you retain your real estate investment for seven years, you will be eligible to apply for permanent residence in Namibia.
Documents required to become a resident of Namibia
The requirements for the Namibia residency by investment scheme are still being finalised. However, the following will be needed as a minimum:
- Completed Namibia residency permit application forms.
- A valid passport and two current passport photos.
- A medical certificate and radiological report that meets the Namibian state requirements.
- A police clearance certificate from your country of origin or residence.
What is the minimum investment required for Namibia residency?
To invest in Namibian real estate as a route to residency, you will need to make an investment of at least USD 316,000. There will be additional administration and agency fees, although these are yet to be finalised, as the scheme is still in development.
Can you get Namibian citizenship by buying property?
As long as the planned scheme goes ahead, Namibian residence will be available to foreign nationals who purchase real estate at the President’s Links Estate with a minimum value of USD 316,000. However, this scheme does not automatically lead to citizenship.
Is Namibia safe for expats?
Namibia is one of the safest countries in Africa. The intention of the President’s Links Estate investment programme is to make investors feel as safe as possible, and for this reason the development includes a range of security measures, including camera surveillance, 24-hour manned patrols, and a perimeter fence.